February 14, 2008

Ash Wed

Yes Mom!! I made it to church!!

A woman that lives in the guest house just happen to invite me to church with her on Ash Wed. I had to miss a few things to go, but I thought if I was invited I should go, since it is Ash Wed, and always interesting going to church in other countries. The music wasn't all that great. The choir couldn't really sing on key, but it was still interesting, and they tried. Other than that, everything was in English and all the same, except just a few small things. I was one of very few white people there. I was actually surprised when I saw a few other white people.

It was only Day 4, so by her taking me out, I had the chance to see a different side of India than what I was seeing, and talk with her about experiences and things that I wouldn't have otherwise if I went out with the volunteers.

After mass we decided to go out for a bite to eat. We stopped into a little place on the side of the road. Not a place I think I would have picked out on my own, ate food that I wouldn't normally get if I ate at the guesthouse, and for the two of us to eat with yogurt (I believe it was a Lassi) was about 60 rupees, maybe about $1.50. That is incredible.

The meal was two fried breads (and I am sure they have a name) chic peas (sp??) and some other peppers that made my nose run. Then we headed home, walked for a bit, it was my first time seeing MI road a main street in Jaipur, the cinema (Raj) which I ended up going to later in the week. Then we took a bicycle rickshaw the rest of the way home.

Maria was a lovely woman that really showed the hospitality of India. I am lucky to have gotten to experience that.

No comments: